September 11, 2001



It has been four years since the terrorists attacked America on 9/11. I am thankful each day that no new attacks have taken place on American soil. Hopefully, the things our military has done and the things yet to do will show terrorists that you do not mess with America. Terrorists may still attack on the battlefield, but even that has slowed down as of late. Terrorists will lose.


Today, I remember September 11, 2001. Like many people have said, I remember exactly were I was and what I was doing. I was heading into Pittsburgh on business. The van started handling funny so I pulled off. A tire was going bad. I saw a tire store just ahead so I headed there. Once in the waiting room, I saw a group of people focused on a TV. Even the tire store mechanics were in front of the TV watching something. I walked over and saw that the first tower had been hit. I thought I was watching a commercial for some new disaster movie. Then the second jet hit the Twin Towers. "This is no accident." One fellow in the room said out loud. It was then that we all knew this was an attack.


The third plane slammed into the pentagon. This is when shock dissipated in me and turned to anger. I wanted to see those bastards who planned this die.


The forth plane went down just 25 miles from were I was. The local Pittsburgh news cut away from the national news and we had no idea how big this attack was. Anger turned to fear. Many of us headed outside to watch the skies. Thinking maybe some how we could run out of the way if we saw a plane heading for Pittsburgh. I remember wondering if every city in America was a target for some terrorist's plane. People began pulling their children out of schools. For the rest of that day I looked to the skies. I have never lost my anger that someone could do this to innocent people.


There are many heroes from that day. Many people who took charge and help save lives. I wanted to focus on a hero of mine. Joe Dwyer. He is a 24-year-old hospital orderly from Wagram, N.C. When the World Trade Center was destroyed, he had a gut feeling his brother, a New York City transit cop, had been killed. When he learned that his brother was ok, Dwyer says, "I knew I had to do something." Two days later Dwyer joined the Army.


In March 2003, Dwyer was sent to Iraq as a medic. During a battle, an Iraqi boy was caught in the crossfire and shot in the leg. The boy's father was screaming for help. Joe Dwyer rushed in and grabbed the boy and carried him to safety.


There are those who are very critical of The American Soldier. When I think of the American Military, I see that picture of Joe Dwyer carrying the Iraqi boy to safety. Thanks Joe Dwyer for giving me that image to remember…AR…